Are you looking to save money while also living a plant-based lifestyle? Look no further than “Plant-Based on a Shoestring: Easy Vegan Meals for Tight Budgets!”
Eating vegan doesn’t have to break the bank, and we have plenty of delicious recipes that won’t leave your wallet empty. From hearty soups to satisfying stir-fries, these meals are affordable and packed with nutrients.
So let’s start cooking and enjoy all the benefits of a budget-friendly plant-based diet!
What is a vegan meal plan?
There are a lot of great plant-based meal plans out there that can help you save money and eat nutritiously. Here are five easy vegan meals that will fit into most budgets:
1. Quinoa Black Bean Salad with Tofu Vinaigrette: This vegan salad contains protein and flavour. You’ll need: 1 cup quinoa, one can of black beans, 1/2 red onion, two tablespoons of olive oil, two teaspoons of balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to taste, 6 oz. Tofu (firm or extra-firm) and 1/4 cup diced fresh cilantro. Cook the quinoa according to the package directions. Mix the black beans, red onion, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until well combined. Add the cooked quinoa and tofu and mix until everything is evenly coated. Garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.
2. Lentil Dal with Basmati Rice: This dal is made with lentils, split peas, rice, carrots, celery root, gingerroot and garlic – all packed with nutrients! You’ll need: 2 cups legumes (lentils or split peas), 3 cups water or vegetable broth*, one teaspoon ground turmeric*, one tablespoon raw sugar*, 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander*, salt and pepper to taste** (*You can also use chicken or beef broth if you have it on hand; omit the ground turmeric and adjust the other spices accordingly.) In a large pot, bring the water or broth to a boil. Add the lentils, split peas, rice, carrots, celery root, gingerroot and garlic. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve hot with basmati rice.
3. Spicy Rice Burrito Bowls: This meal is perfect for a quick and easy meal on a busy day. It’s made with brown rice, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, avocado, jalapeño peppers, cilantro and salsa — all vegan! You’ll need: 1 cup brown rice*, one can black beans*, 1/2 cup frozen corn*, 1/4 cup diced red onion* (*can also use two tablespoons diced red onion if you have it on hand), two tablespoons olive oil*, one tablespoon chilli powder*, 1/2 teaspoon cumin*, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder*, 1/4 teaspoon salt*, juice of 1 lime* (*You can also omit the corn if you don’t have it or use something else like chopped greens or cooked sweet potatoes instead.) Cook
How to make vegan meals on a shoestring budget?
You can make plenty of vegan meals on a tight budget, whether cooking for one or feeding a crowd. This roundup includes cheap and budget-friendly vegan recipes and tips to help make them work.
If you’re looking to save money without sacrificing taste, check out these plant-based dishes:
1) Quinoa Burrito Bowls: These bowls are packed with flavour and cost just $3 to prepare. You can use any leftover quinoa for another meal or store it in the fridge for later.
2) Spicy Lentil Stew: This stew is hearty, filling, and low in calories—perfect for those on a budget. It only takes 10 minutes to cook, and you can serve it over cooked rice or pasta for a complete meal.
3) Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos: These are delicious, healthy, and affordable. They take 30 minutes to make and require just a few simple ingredients. They freeze well so that you can have them on hand anytime!
4) Grilled Portobello Mushroom Caps with Vegan Queso Sauce: This dish is hearty and flavorful—perfect for an easy vegan dinner. The queso sauce makes it extra special. You can grill the mushrooms ahead of time if desired and serve them topped with your favourite toppings.
5) Basic Tomato Soup: This soup is perfect for having little cooking time. It’s simple to make and can be customized to your taste. Plus, it costs just $2 to make.
6) Vegan Slow Cooker Brown Rice and Bean Burrito Bowls: This dish is perfect for a quick and easy meal. The brown rice and beans fill, and the burrito bowls are easily customized. You can make them as spicy or mild as you like.
7) Tofu Cashew Quesadillas: These quesadillas are super tasty and budget-friendly. They require a few simple ingredients and freeze well so that you can have them on hand anytime!
8) Sweet Potato Lentil Dal: This dal is hearty, filling, and healthy—a great option if you’re looking for a vegan meal that will keep you full all day long. It only takes 30 minutes to cook; you can serve it over cooked rice or pasta for a complete meal.
Sample vegan meal plans
Are you looking to stick to a vegan diet on a tight budget? Check out these easy meal plans that will have you eating plant-based without breaking the bank.
Monday: scramble eggs with roasted veggies and whole-grain toast
Tuesday: black bean burger patties with steamed broccoli and tahini sauce
Wednesday: quinoa and veggie stir-fry with brown rice
Thursday: oven-roasted sweet potatoes with homemade salsa
Friday: vegan breakfast burrito bowl with whole wheat tortillas, avocado, and tomatoes
Veganism is a great way to live healthier without breaking the bank. With easy vegan meals that taste delicious, you can enjoy your plant-based diet without sacrificing your budget.
This article shares some of our favourite vegan meal ideas that will please even the most discerning carnivore. If you’re looking for cheap and easy vegan meals, check out our website!